Determined Defense Against Foreclosure in Pompton Lakes
Knowledgeable attorney provides trustworthy representation
When you moved into your dream home in Pompton Lakes, you probably imagined a bright future in a bucolic suburb, not the anxiety of an impending foreclosure. Life, unfortunately, has a way of deviating from our best-laid plans. So, if you’re fighting for your dream home, let the Law Offices of James C. Zimmermann put an end to the nightmare. For 25 years, we have helped financially distressed homeowners throughout Passaic County hold onto their homes or get relief from their obligations under a burdensome mortgage. If you are prepared to fight for your family’s home, we can provide the knowledgeable counsel and aggressive advocacy you need to achieve a favorable result.
Experienced foreclosure attorney offers aggressive home defense
You might not realize that even if you’ve fallen behind in your mortgage payments, you may still have a legal defense to foreclosure. By taking a personalized approach to your foreclosure, we work with you to uncover legal grounds for blocking an impending foreclosure, which can include:
- Your lender’s failure to observe required foreclosure procedures
- Lack of proof that the foreclosing party actually owns your loan
- A material error your loan servicer made with your account
- Your rights as a home mortgage holder under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)
- Terms in your mortgage that a court might find “unconscionable”
Our steadfast defense to foreclosure alerts your lender that you intend to stay in your home. This often persuades the lender to consider alternative solutions, such as a refinance or a period of loan forbearance, during which you can go without making payments, without your lender initiating foreclosure proceedings.
Even if you don’t have a legal basis to block foreclosure, we can often improve your outcome by pursuing other remedies, such as:
- Mortgage modification — Recent laws arising out of the housing crisis permit homeowners to apply for a mortgage modification if their home’s value has dropped below the balance of the loan.
- Short sale — If the market value of your home has dropped dramatically, the bank may allow you to sell it for less than your loan balance. Although you can’t keep your home, this negotiated solution frees you from your mortgage obligation and saves your bank the time and expense of foreclosure.
- Deeds in lieu of foreclosure — This is a straight-up swap where you deliver your deed to the bank in exchange for a release from your mortgage obligations. Although you still lose your house, this deal is more advantageous than foreclosure, where you might still be responsible for a balance on the mortgage.
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy — By filing a Chapter 13 debt reorganization, a homeowner can often continue to make mortgage payments while paying much less for other obligations for a period of three or five years. At the end of the repayment program, the bankruptcy court discharges your remaining qualifying debt.
For additional answers to your questions, see our foreclosure FAQ page. If you choose to meet with us in our Pompton Lakes office, we are happy to provide complete answers that address all your concerns.
For staunch defense to foreclosure in Passaic County, contact our Pompton Lakes office
When mortgage payments threaten your home, the Law Offices of James C. Zimmermann can provide the determined defense counsel you need. To schedule a free consultation, call us at 973-764-1633 or contact us online. Our Pompton Lakes office is conveniently located in the heart of the borough, a mile west of Joe Louis Memorial Park.
Law Offices of James C. Zimmermann
58 Colfax Ave #1
Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442
“I don’t have enough words to describe how amazing the experience with Jim was. I could not have asked for better services. From the moment I first called I was at ease that I has made the right choice. Thank you again!!” -Jake D., 5.0 rating ★★★★★